Tuesday, November 5, 2013

And She's Off

November 5, 2013
Today I am thankful that we live in a fully fenced in / gated apartment complex.
Tuesdays are my one morning to sleep in.  I don't work until 12:15pm.  Generally its quite lovely.  However, this morning Addie had other ideas.
Usually the dogs sleep until I wake up.  They don't even stir if Tom is up before me.  It doesn't matter what time I get up they sleep until I do.  This morning, of all mornings, Addie broke our sleep in pact.  She started whining at 9am.  I figured she must really have to go potty so I quickly threw on a sweatshirt over my pj's and flip flops and went to let her and Rocky out.
Now technically we are supposed to put our dogs on a leash every time we let them out, but our dogs are used to going out without a leash and staying in an unfenced specified area, so often we let them out without a leash.  We lucked out with the location and set up of our apartment building.  All the apartments have entrances from outside.  Ours is on the ground level in the back of the building and has a nice grassy area right outside our door.  So it makes it pretty easy to just let the dogs out, watch them from the door, and have them run right back in.  Also there aren't very many other dogs in our building so we don't have to worry about them coming out.
Now when I let the dogs out my routine is always the same.  Open the apartment door and make sure no one is outside and no other dogs are out back.  I tell my dogs to wait at the door and they do.  Then I go back open the door and let them out.  They usually just run right to the grass and go potty and come right back.  Usually being the key word in that sentence.
This morning when I opened the door Addie took off like a horse in the Kentucky Derby.  Rocky and I looked at each other like "sam hell is she going?"  Rocky went off to his secret corner to pee and I started walking back to where she ran quietly yelling her name, trying not to wake any other neighbors or bring attention to the fact that I was A.) letting my dogs out off leash and B.) doing all this in my pajamas.  When I couldn't find her I tried to get Rocky back in the apartment but he wouldn't leave my side.  I knew if I started walking to the front of the building he would take off too, getting excited by all the new smells.  So I started running back and forth with Rocky chasing me all the while quietly yelling for Addie.  Hoping she would just show up.
Luckily after about 5 minutes she ran back and was immediately in time out in her kennel.  I think she just went to the front of our building, but who really knows.  The only small piece of positive pie I can find in all this is that our entire apartment complex is fenced / gated in so unless she actually went to the front or side gate where you can drive in and out and they happened to be open she would be stuck in the complex.  Not necessarily safe because people drive like idiots, but at least stuck inside.
Of all the factors that I thought of about how we could possibly get kicked out of our apartment (Rocky barking, Tom farting, our crazy parties, etc.)  Addie was never once one of them.  Who knew she would want to make the list?!?!?  Dumb dog.
Oh well, we haven't been kicked out yet!  Here's to hoping we can make it a year :)


XO XO,
Molly

P.S. I want some pie...not just positive pie actual pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment